One of the “disappointments” I personally felt when the iPad mini was announced was the fact that its display left a bit to be desired. Granted its PPI was better than the iPad 2, but given the Retina display of the iPad 3 and iPad 4, it paled in comparison. To that end we’re pretty sure that a Retina display for the next-gen iPad mini is on the wish list of many and according to Paul Semenza, an analyst for market research company, DisplaySearch, our wishes could very well come true.
Speaking to CNET, Semenza believes that production of Retina displays for the iPad mini could begin in Q3 of 2013, and that it is possible that the iPad mini could launch around that time as well. Either that or Q4 instead. As to the resolution of this alleged Retina iPad mini, Semenza claims that his data points at a 2048×1536 resolution, putting it on par with the latest iPad, albeit at a higher PPI given its smaller display. There is a trade-off as Semenza thinks that fitting such a high-res display into the iPad mini could be a challenge, so there is a possibility that the next-gen iPad mini could end up being thicker in order to accommodate it.
A thicker iPad mini with a much higher display, seems like a fair trade-off, wouldn’t you agree?
- 2014-04-09: Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-03-31: iPad Air & iPad mini With LTE Hits China At Last
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-18: Apple Reportedly Picks Samsung To Manufacture iPad Mini Display Panels
- 2014-02-16: iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued
- 2013-08-01: New iPad Mini To Use Samsung Retina Displays, Says WSJ
- 2013-06-09: iPhone 6 With 4.8 Inch Display Rumored, Retina iPad Mini Delayed
- 2013-05-19: iPad Mini 2 Display May Be Manufactured By Three Suppliers
- 2013-05-15: iPad Mini 2 Render Hints At Design And Alleged Specifications
- 2013-02-18: Apple’s Retina Display Will Increase Price Of iPad Mini