We’re sure that you guys all know the ongoing legal battle between Apple and Samsung, a battle that might see Apple dropping Samsung ultimately from their list of manufacturers, and according to a report from Korea, it looks like that process has already begun. Apple is expected to launch a new iPad later this year, whether it be in a few months or towards the later part of the year has yet to be determined, but it is a safe assumption that the iPad 5 will be launched this year. In any case according to the report, it seems that Apple has made requests for pricing estimates for their 5th gen iPad and iPad mini 2, and interestingly it seems that Samsung Display was not approached to supply the displays for these devices.
Samsung and LG are amongst some of the suppliers that Apple goes to for their display needs, so dropping Samsung will not really set Apple back (although there is a smattering of reports that suggests that Samsung’s displays are slightly better than LG, but we guess that is a matter of perception). The report goes on to state that Samsung’s vice chairman has gone on to dismiss this as merely rumors and that he’s apparently not too concerned about it. We suggest you take this with a grain of salt for now, but we have to wonder if dropping Samsung as a component supplier could have a negative impact future Apple products. We guess we will have to wait and see.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2013-10-14: Purported Gold iPad 5 And iPad 2 Mini Leaked
- 2013-10-02: iPad 5 And iPad Mini 2 To Have 8 Megapixel Rear Camera [Analyst]
- 2013-09-18: iPad Mini 2 Purported Shell In 'Space Gray' Color Leaked
- 2013-09-17: iOS 7.1 Release Rumored To Take Place In October
- 2013-08-28: New iPads Reportedly Not Launching On September 10th