We’ve all heard the rumors that Apple could be looking to build a television set of their own, with some predicting that it could even be launched later this year. While the jury is still out on that one, a new rumor has emerged, suggesting that Apple’s alleged television set could be a 4k device, meaning that it will put it in competition with UHD television sets by companies like Samsung, LG and Sony. According to the folks at Digitimes, the alleged “iTV” will sport a display resolution of 3840×2160, putting it up to the 4k UHD standard of 2160p, and will come with internet connectivity, voice and motion controls.
So where is this alleged TV? Well apparently Apple and Foxconn have been in discussion for quite a while over the mass production of the device, but Apple has been putting it off because they are still looking for a reliable panel supplier. It is speculated that LG Display could be the one to take the lead on the panel display, and the rumors are saying it might mean a late 2013 or early 2014 release. We’ll take this with a grain of salt for now, but a 4k UHD Apple TV? Apple’s products are already pretty expensive to start with, and we’d hate to think how much this would cost.
- 2014-04-16: Sony's New 4K TVs Will Be Released In The U.S. This June
- 2014-04-08: Netflix 4K Streaming House Of Cards Kicks Off
- 2014-03-31: Hands-On: Samsung UD590 Review. A Lean & Mean 4K Monitor
- 2014-03-24: Panasonic HX-A500 4K Wearable Camera Coming This May
- 2014-03-20: 8K TV Broadcast Testing In Japan To Begin By 2016
- 2013-09-05: LG Uses 84-Inch 4K UHD TV For Fake Meteor Crash Prank [Video]
- 2013-06-25: Seiki Announces 39" 4K TV For Just $699
- 2013-05-31: ASUS PQ321 4K Monitor Unveiled
- 2013-05-15: Sony Unveils Pricing Of Bravia X9 4K Televisions For The UK
- 2013-04-17: Apple Not Releasing Anything 'New' In 2013 [Economist]