Apple rolled out a couple of firmware updates today, the first being iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. In all that frenzy, many overlooked the fact that a new Apple TV firmware build had also been released. The new Apple TV 5.2.1 firmware update rolled out today and it features a brand new interface for the Hulu service that is integrated in Apple TV.
Content categories have now been added to the top navigation bar and make it easier for the user to jump to their desired category, be it TV, Movies or Search. Each category will show what’s new in it. The Shows You Watch tray allow users to keep themselves up to date with their favorite TV shows and don’t miss any episodes. Playing content is easier than ever before. Decide what show you want to see, press Play and the latest episode of that series will automatically start playing. Captions can be turned on by holding down the Select button until Subtitles and Audio appears. All of this comes with the new Apple TV 5.2.1 firmware update so if you haven’t updated yet, I highly recommend that you do so.
- 2014-04-10: 2014 Apple TV May Rely On Motion Control Technology
- 2014-04-08: New Apple Set-Top Box Hinted In Comcast/Time Warner Cable Filings
- 2014-04-08: Amazon Says Instant Video Has Surpassed Hulu And Apple
- 2014-04-07: Amazon Fire TV Handles Android Mirroring Nicely
- 2014-04-02: Analyst Thinks Amazon's Fire TV Will Motivate Apple To Revamp The Apple TV
- 2014-03-28: Roku CEO Calls The Apple TV A "Money Loser" For Apple
- 2012-07-31: Hulu Plus now on Apple TV