The last time BlackBerry announced its earnings report, they reported a $114 million loss on $2.73 billion in revenue. Things weren’t looking good for the company at all and many considered their upcoming BlackBerry 10 announcement to be their final Hail Mary pass. It looks as though the launch of their BlackBerry 10 platform along with its BlackBerry Z10 could be considered a success as they’re announcing they’re once again profitable.
BlackBerry says it has shipped six million smartphones during its fiscal fourth quarter of 2012, which includes one million units of its new BlackBerry Z10, which the company admits was above their original estimates. This is also quite surprising as those one million BlackBerry Z10 units were sold in smaller markets like Canada and the U.K., with the device releasing shortly after the quarter ended.
In total, BlackBerry reported they’ve earned $98 million in its fourth quarter, compared to the loss of $125 million during the previous year’s quarter.
Hopefully the official launch of the BlackBerry Z10 in the U.S. on AT&T and T-Mobile will spark an even better quarter for BlackBerry. If they can pull off a comeback, it’ll be one many people in the tech world would be amazed to see considering many thought the company was on its last legs just a few months ago.
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface
- 2014-04-11: T-Mobile Offering BlackBerry Users $200 To "Upgrade" To Samsung
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry CEO Optimistic That Handset Business Will Be Profitable By 2015
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry Q20 Will Be Officially Known As The BlackBerry Classic
- 2013-11-19: Porsche Design Re-Imagines The BlackBerry Z10 Costing $2,400
- 2013-07-15: BlackBerry Z10 Prices Dropping As Low As $49 Four Months After Release
- 2013-06-18: 'Critical' Security Warning Issued For BlackBerry Z10
- 2013-05-29: BlackBerry Q10 Reportedly Selling Faster Than iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 And HTC One In France
- 2013-05-14: BlackBerry Z10 With 5 Inch Display Rumored