[CeBIT 2013] Today at CeBIT, I met with Alix Bowman and Rob Cotter from Organic Transit, the green transportation company behind ELF, an innovative solar / pedal hybrid vehicle. This egg-shaped tricycle can be powered by an electric engine when needed or using pedals just like a bicycle.
The durable shell comes fully equipped with lights, signals and mirrors just like a car, and the battery pack can be recharged using the solar panels located on the roof top (see photo in the gallery) or by plugging in to a wall outlet. Note that the battery was not plugged when I saw ELF on the showfloor at CeBIT (see the electrical cable unplugged in the picture).
The cargo compartment at the rear of the vehicle offers enough room to store your groceries or your bag with your laptop. Additionally, the ELF’s compact size allows to take advantage of the bike lanes in your city. if your priority is to save money on gas and save the planet at the same time, then the ELF is for you. According to the company, the ELF can go 1,800 miles on the energy equivalent of one gallon of gas.
Founded by CEO Rob Cotter in April 2012 in North Carolina, Organic Transit went through 6 prototypes starting from June 2012 before coming with 9 beta models similar, to the one you see in the picture. Fifty one production models are currently being produced with the money raised on Kickstarter, they will be introduced to the market later this month, thanks to the 51 lucky owners who financed the production.
- Lithium Iron Phosphate battery
- 60W solar panel
- PWM controller
- 750W permanent neodymium magnet motor
- Three speed transmission
- 26″ wheels front and rear w/20mm through axles
- LED headlights, tail lights, brake lights and turn signals
- Side and rearview mirrors
- Disc brakes
- Adjustable seat
- 350 lb ppayload
- NuVinci 360 CVT hub
- Organic Transit dashboard app (for tracking calories consumption, carbon mitigation, and battery life)
- Higher wattage solar panels
- Extra LifePO battery
- Puncture resistant tires
- 2013-12-23 Electric Vehicles Predicted To Become More Popular In 2040
- 2013-09-09 Qualcomm In Formula E: Advise And Integrate Technology
- 2013-08-06 Road-Powered Electric Vehicle Network In South Korea Debuts
- 2013-07-01 Generation Solar Powered Electric Vehicle
- 2013-03-18 Fraunhofer SIT: Key2Share, Smartphones as a Keyring
- 2013-03-09 FX-Sport: VR1 Programmable Personal Trainer Wireless Sports Headphones
- 2013-03-08 Fraunhofer IIS: Surround Sound with Video Streaming on Android
- 2013-03-08 Alleged Samsung Galaxy S4 Cases Spotted At CeBIT 2013
- 2013-03-08 Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E-Series Launched at CeBIT 2013