There are developers out there who pump out sequels to their games frequently. In fact take a look at Ubisoft who released Assassin’s Creed 3 last year, only to follow up with Assassin’s Creed 4 this year. While there are pros and cons to such frequent releases, when it comes to the Grand Theft Auto franchise, you might be interested to learn that such frequent releases will not take place. According to Take Two’s COO, Karl Slatoff in an interview with Gamespot, he believes that by releasing games too frequently it will “degrade” the franchise.
“To us, that doesn’t make sense, because Grand Theft Auto, every single time it comes out, is a brand new experience. You can’t possibly do that in two years […] And if we did that, our product would fatigue and the franchise would degrade from a value perspective.”
We definitely have to agree that every GTA launch is almost like a new experience. For example Grand Theft Auto II which still featured the top-down view made a big change in Grand Theft Auto III which had a 3D third-person perspective. Based on what we’ve seen in the screenshots and what little details we know about Grand Theft Auto V, the game will be stepping up in a big way in terms of graphics, play style as well as the size of the game itself.
What do you guys think? Can you appreciate Take Two’s stance on the matter, or would you rather have frequent releases every one or two years? Grand Theft Auto V is expected to see a release in September on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- 2014-03-04: GTA Online: The Business Update Arrives
- 2014-02-27: GTA: Online Business Update Sess New Vehicles And Weapons Added
- 2014-02-16: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Spotted In The Windows Store
- 2014-01-27: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas For Windows Phone 8 Launched At Last
- 2014-01-22: Grand Theft Auto V Online Players Claim To Lose Cash To Rockstar After Latest Update
- 2013-07-10: GTA 5 Will Feature Customizable Weapons, Vehicles
- 2013-07-09: GTA 5 For PC Hinted At In New Job Listing
- 2013-07-09: GTA 5 Gameplay Trailer Shows Us Actual In-Game Footage
- 2013-05-08: New GTA 5 Screenshots Feature Heists, Scuba And Ridiculous Costumes
- 2013-04-30: New GTA 5 Trailers Highlighting Michael, Franklin, Trevor Released