Last night’s re-run of Family Guy played host to the first commercial for Gears of War: Judgment, which will be releasing on the Xbox 360 on March 19. The commercial, called “Cheevos” ditches the traditional Gears of War commercials that featured some heart-wrenching visuals while somber music played, and instead went for a multiplayer-focused ad.
The Cheevos commercial highlights three Gears of War multiplayer fans who are apparently proud of achievements they’ve completed in Gears of War: Judgment. One fan completed 40 declassified missions, another won 92 Overrun matches and the last earning the “Like A Boss” achievement on his 22nd attempt.
The new commercial is supposed to be a fun change of pace compared to previous commercials, but I personally feel that’s what made the previous ads memorable. I feel the Gears series has proven itself to be more than just a co-op gore-fest that delivers a great multiplayer experience. Gears of War’s story has had many ups and downs, and if you read the books, you’ll know they went through even more hardships. That’s why I think for the Gears franchise, it would have been better to go with a more serious commercial like the previous ones, than this multiplayer-focused one.
Next Story: Apple iWatch May Be Unveiled By The End Of 2013
- 2013-11-30: Microsoft Having Active Discussions About Gears Of War's Future
- 2013-11-27: Gears Of War, Shoot Many Robots Free In December For Xbox Games With Gold
- 2013-04-19: Gears Of War: Judgment 'Call To Arms' Map Pack Available On April 23
- 2013-04-02: Gears of War: Judgment Patched
- 2013-03-29: Gears Of War: Judgment Makes First Add-On Available Free For Limited Time
- 2013-03-19: Gears of War: Judgment Now Available Exclusively On Xbox 360
- 2013-03-07: Gears Of War: Judgment Cinematic Trailer Highlights Emergence Day
- 2013-02-20: New Gears of War: Judgment Video Highlights Multiplayer Modes, Weapons
- 2013-02-20: Gears of War: Judgment Leaks Onto Torrent Sites; Microsoft Warns Hackers
- 2013-02-11: Gears of War: Judgment Walmart Pre-Order Gets You Choice Of Gears 2 or 3