It was just a few days ago when video game industry analyst Michael Pachter said he believed Nintendo only sold 80,000 Wii U consoles in February. Considering Pachter made some outrageous claims recently in regards to the next Xbox outselling the PlayStation 4 and Wii U this holiday season before we’ve even seen the console, it was expected by many Pachter may not know exactly what he’s talking about. Fortunately for Nintendo, he was wrong with his prediction. Unfortunately for Nintendo, it was far less than 80,000.
According to the latest NPD numbers, Nintendo only sold 64,000 units in February, which to their defense is a shorter month than others. But still, 64,000 units sold in a month is still pretty bad as neither the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 sold such a few amount of consoles in their history.
The holiday season was apparently good for the Wii U, although post-holiday sales continue to suffer. Maybe it’s the lack of worthwhile first-party games, or maybe it’s the fact the console continues to have hardware problems that are in desperate need of its upcoming spring and summer updates. Either way, Nintendo needs to make some moves soon or the Wii U could continue this trend well into its 6-month release.
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-09: Nintendo Confirms New Mario Game In The Works
- 2014-04-08: Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Pegged For Summer, Wii U Version For Winter
- 2013-11-14: Watch All 30 Minutes Of The Latest Nintendo Direct Right Here
- 2013-11-07: Super Smash Bros. Wii U, 3DS Adds Marth To Its Roster Of Fighters
- 2013-10-30: Nintendo: Wii U Still Having A "Negative Impact" On Our Profits
- 2013-10-25: Nintendo Wii U Basic Set Gets Bundled With Skylanders Swap Force On Nov. 15
- 2013-03-29: GameStop: Nintendo Wii U Sales 'Disappointing'