Google’s Nexus devices are favored by some Android users due to the stock Android experience. However the Nexus 4 when compared to the Samsung Galaxy S4 pales in comparison in terms of specs and features, and we expect that many Android users will flock over to the Galaxy S4 and ultimately root and flash a custom ROM on their device to rid themselves of Samsung’s TouchWiz UI. If that is your plan and you were eyeing CyanogenMod as being your custom ROM of choice, you might want to start looking elsewhere because according to the team behind CyanogenMod, they claim that they will not be supporting the Galaxy S4.
Nobody at Team Hacksung (the team behind Galaxy S2, Note, S3, Note2, G Tabs… official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, [and] the bugs we have on the S3 will probably be there on S4, too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes Qualcomm releases sources, but Exynos sources we had were far from [working on] actual Galaxy products. I’m pretty sure the same will happen for this one.
That’s a uniform “no” from us.
Of course we expect that there might be other custom ROMs out there that you can flash on the Galaxy S4, but considering that CyanogenMod is probably one of the most popular custom ROMs out there, this will no doubt be a bummer for would-be Galaxy S4 owners.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2013-05-22: Chainfire Releases New SuperSU And CF-Auto-Root Tool For Galaxy S4
- 2013-05-05: Galaxy S4 Cyanogenmod First Nightly Builds Released
- 2013-04-05: Qualcomm Version Of The Samsung Galaxy S4 Reportedly Rooted As Well
- 2013-04-02: Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Ahead Of Its Release
- 2013-03-20: Team CyanogenMod Clarifies Statement Made By Team Hacksung Over Samsung Galaxy S4