Two weeks ago, Pearltrees, the visual content curation application released its brand new version, called “Boticelli”, with the addition of graphically enhanced backgrounds that illustrate each Pearltree. The Pearls themselves have been modified, now users can have a view of the content of each pearl, which make it easier to navigate and select the pearl with the most relevant content.
Additional new features include reusable image galleries, improved zooming capabilities and better image formatting. Pearltree is even more visual than before and I encourage you to try it for yourself, as reading about this highly immersive features is not enough to get a sense of what this application is capable of.
Pearltrees was launched in private beta in April 2009 as an online visual mapping tool for the desktop web, allowing users to organize their bookmarked web pages using ”pearls” as part of “pearltrees”. At the time, we were not really talking about content curation, but merely about visual browsing. Then, the web application was officially launched at LeWeb in December 2009, and I was immediately impressed by the software because it provides a highly visual and easy to use experience.
Since then, Pearltrees was updated several times, and the iPad and the iPhone applications were launched in 2011 and 2012, respectively. The latest major addition, in October 2012, included the release of the long awaited privacy options, alongside the premium version. Today, Pearltrees counts over 2 million monthly active users.
The updated application is available for the iPad and the iPhone and on the web. Pearltrees is free to download and a premium version with advanced features is available for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
- 2013-09-05: Scoop.it For iPad
- 2013-03-18: Fraunhofer SIT: Key2Share, Smartphones as a Keyring
- 2013-03-18: Pearltrees Launches its Boticelli Version with Visual Enhancements
- 2013-02-08: Soonr Workplace: Collaboration app with document scan, HD video playback and Microsoft Office
- 2012-12-17: Cisco’s Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router and Applications – Demo at GDGT
- 2012-10-31: Pearltrees 1.0 offers Pearltrees Premium with privacy features