We did read about how Seagate has decided to cease manufacturing the 2.5” 7,200rpm hard drive for the notebook market yesterday, and whenever there is a “funeral” of sorts, here is an event which will celebrate the “birth”, so to speak, of the third generation hybrid drive from Seagate that is simply known as the SSHD. The SSHD was showcased at CES 2013 which happened a couple of months ago, and you are now able to pick it up for the notebook and desktop segments.
First of all, the Seagate Laptop SSHD drive will measure a mere 7mm in terms of thickness, and will also be able to fit into the chassis of Ultrabooks without missing a beat. As for the all-new Seagate Desktop SSHD, it will attempt to continue from where the Momentus XT 500GB and Momentus XT 750GB left off, boasting solid-state memory as well as the all-too-familiar platter-based storage, all crammed into a single chassis. Both desktop and laptop versions will feature 8GB of flash memory, although the desktop model comes in the 1TB and 2TB flavors, while notebook owners will have to settle for 500GB and 1TB capacities.
- 2014-01-05: Seagate Backup Plus Slim and Backup Plus Fast
- 2013-09-09: Seagate Offers External Drive Protection Plans Called Rescue And Replace
- 2013-09-09: Seagate Ultra Mobile HDD Offers 500GB For Android Tablets
- 2013-06-02: Seagate 5mm HDD To Boost Ultrabook Storage
- 2013-05-20: Seagate Announces Video 3.5 HDD Specifically For Video Applications