The Sony PlayStation 4 will be launched later this year during the holiday season and for some, this is the one of the most anticipated console releases. Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 back in February, although they did not really dive into specifics and mainly revealed some of its social features as well as some demonstrations. Hardware specifics and the actual design of the console itself were not shown off, but it seems that Sony is pretty confident that customers will be biting nonetheless. According to a report from Digitimes, it seems that Sony has high hopes for their latest console and that they supposedly have plans to ship 16 million PlayStation 4 consoles in 2013 alone.
Of course shipping estimates and sales estimates are two different things, but we guess Sony is expecting that demand will be high enough to warrant that many units to be shipped in the first place. Given the success of the PlayStation series of consoles, we wouldn’t be surprised if the PlayStation 4 will turn out to be a hit as well. However with competition from consoles like Ouya and Valve’s Steam Box, as well as Microsoft’s rumored next-gen Xbox and the Nintendo Wii U, it will be interesting to see if Sony will be able to replicate the success of the previous PlayStations.
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-04-16: Sony Xperia SP Users Experiencing Screen Flickering After Recent Update
- 2014-04-16: Sony's New 4K TVs Will Be Released In The U.S. This June
- 2014-04-15: God Of War Collection Arriving For The PS Vita
- 2014-04-15: Mysterious Sony D6603 Spotted In Screenshot
- 2014-02-03: PS4 Update 1.60: Headset Support, Gold Wireless Headset Coming “Soon”
- 2013-12-06: 8-Hour PSN Maintenance Taking Place On December 9
- 2013-11-20: This Gamer's PS4 Remains Untouched After A Tornado Destroyed His Home
- 2013-11-19: Sony's $399 PS4 Costs $381 To Build [Report]
- 2013-11-18: PS4 Blue Light Of Death Fixes Suggested By Sony