Spotify has been creating compatible versions of its application to pretty much anything with an Internet connection to give current and new customers the ability to listen to their streaming-music service of choice anywhere they go. The company has reached a new milestone today with 24 million active users, with over 6 million paying subscribers.
As impressive as 24 million active users are, only having a quarter of those users be paying subscribers puts a damper on today’s news. We’re sure Spotify would prefer at least half of their users be paying subscribers, but considering how many people simply want a Pandora-like radio experience, it might be difficult for Spotify to lure those consumers into paying for a subscription.
We think Spotify needs to give its paying customers more of an incentive than simply playing whatever song you want at any time. The changes they’re starting to implement to their service may be a step in the right direction as one of the main complaints Spotify users have had is how difficult it is to discover new content.
- 2014-04-13: Sprint And Spotify Reportedly Joining Forces
- 2014-03-27: Spotify IPO Expected This Fall
- 2014-03-25: Spotify Premium Is Now 50% Cheaper For US College Students
- 2014-03-24: Nokia MixRadio First Global Music Streaming Service To Launch In China
- 2014-03-23: Apple Spotify Rival Release Possible [Report]
- 2013-02-08: Spotify Beta Pumping Out Tunes On Windows Phone 8 Today
- 2011-11-29: Spotify to allow 3rd party app access?
- 2011-06-11: Spotify one step closer to arriving in the US?
- 2011-01-21: Spotify and Sony sign deal for the US market
- 2010-12-07: Spotify to roll out in US with no concrete date just yet