Last week we reported that according to the rumor mill, Samsung could be working on new Galaxy phones with the Mega moniker, suggesting that we could be looking at phones around the size of the Galaxy Note or even bigger. We had earlier learnt of the specs of the Galaxy Mega 6.3, and now thanks to SamMobile, they claim to have gotten information about the specs of the Galaxy Mega 5.8, one of the two Galaxy Mega phones that Samsung is rumored to be working on. According to the specs, the Galaxy Mega will sport a 5.8” qHD display (obviously), and will sport a 1.4GHz dual-core processor with 1.5GB of RAM, an 8MP camera, a 2MP front-facing camera and will most likely see a launch with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on board.
We have to admit that the specs of the Galaxy Mega 5.8 are a little odd. Considering that even the smaller sized Galaxy S4 has Full HD specs, should these new phones be given the same treatment as well? Plus with quad-core being the rage these days, a dual-core chipset does seem a little 2011/2012. However if we had to speculate, perhaps Samsung is looking to keep costs down while promoting devices with larger displays, which we guess will get consumers used to larger screened phones and might encourage them to upgrade to the higher-end Galaxy Note 3 if and when it is released. No word on when the Galaxy Mega series of phones will be released, but take this with a grain of salt for now and we’ll be keeping our eyes peeled.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2013-07-12: Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 Review
- 2013-05-21: Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Expected Price Pops Up
- 2013-05-16: Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 And Mega 5.8 Reportedly Delayed