Boxee has just lifted the curtain on a new offering for a cloud-based DVR, where this rebranded Boxee TV has been given a new moniker, which would be the Boxee Cloud DVR that delivers up to five hours of DVR playback each month when it comes to the new free plan for users of the hardware. If you are one who participated in the paid tier, then unlimited, indefinite storage would still be available.
The first round of rollout would be limited to just eight major metropolitan areas, and they will include Washington DC, New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Los Angeles. There will be some suburbs thrown into the mix which are part of the associated metro area, and Boxee has hopes to expand to more than 20 areas for the DVR functionality before the year is over. Recording will be limited to channels that are received over-the-air by the Boxee Cloud DVR. Some things will remain the same though, as the device streams Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, Pandora, MLB.TV, and Spotify content. You can pick up the Boxee Cloud DVR (Boxee TV) set top box for $99.
- 2014-01-15: Box iOS App Revamped, 50GB Free Storage Up For Grabs
- 2013-09-16: Box Notes Announced
- 2013-08-21: Box Free Storage Doubles To 10GB, New Starter Edition Launched
- 2013-07-03: Samsung Confirms Boxee Acquisition
- 2013-07-03: Rumor: Samsung Purchased Boxee For Under $30 Million
- 2012-10-26: Is Boxee Giving Away Free Boxee TVs?
- 2012-10-16: Boxee's Cloud DVR may convince you to ditch cable
- 2009-11-12: Boxee Box in the works
- 2010-09-01: Boxee Box priced at $199