There have been many Google Glass related developments this past week. One Explorer tried selling off his unit but the attempt was thwarted by enthusiastic Glass users, the CPU and RAM specifications of Glass Explorer edition have been revealed and this amazing piece of technology has already been rooted. Today the Google Glass kernel software has been released and is now available for download via the Google Code website.
The kernel source code release takes place a day after it was revealed that Google Glass had already been rooted. The code will help Explorers tinker more and also get an idea of what this device may be able to do. It has been noted that the code contains information that may hint at NFC capability in glass, but Google has not confirmed at the moment whether Glass will have NFC capabilities. The code is available for download as a tarball file, it weighs in at 65.7MB, and is available under GNU GPL v2 code license. The Google code website is the temporary home for the Google Glass kernel source, it is likely to be moved next to upcoming Android kernel source releases.
- 2014-04-17: Toshiba Shows How Project Ara's Modularity Can Be Applied To Wearables
- 2014-04-17: Home Try-On Program For Google Glass Launched
- 2014-04-16: Google Offering $100,000 For Best Project Ara Module
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-16: Google Develops Algorithm That Can Decipher Its Own CAPTCHAs
- 2013-09-06: MyGlass App Gives Google Glass Owners Control With An Android Device
- 2013-05-29: First Google Glass Porn App Expected This Week
- 2013-05-16: Google Hangouts App Confirmed For Google Glass
- 2013-05-15: SNL's Fred Armisen Tries Out Google Glass For The First Time