Only a few days back we reported that Google Fiber was finally coming to Austin. It had campaigned to became the launch city for Google’s gigabit internet service but lost out to Kansas. Apparently the next Google Fiber location is Provo, Utah. This according to a local Provo based website and the Provo mayor’s promise that he’ll be making an epic announcement today at 12:30 p.m. PST.
The mayor wrote on his blog that this announcement will be the “single largest accomplishment” of his professional career. Rumors are already flying around town as to what this announcement is about, the mayor lists some humorous ones on his blog. Google Fiber seems a possibility because there’s already a fiber optic infrastructure in place, it was sold to a private company in the past, but now the city has bought it back again. At the moment both Google and the mayor’s office have not commented on this story. Those who’ll not be able to attend the announcement need not worry, the mayor is providing a live stream of his press conference. What do you think, Fiber or no Fiber?
- 2014-04-13: Surgeon Finds Google Glass Indispensable In His Work
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Confirmed: Google Glass Will Be Sold To The Public On 15th April
- 2013-09-26: Google Fiber Compared To Broadband In Provo City Promotional Video
- 2013-06-12: Google Fiber And Robot Helps Boy Pitch At MLB Game
- 2013-05-08: Google Fiber Expanding To Grandview, MO
- 2013-04-29: Google Fiber Gets Competition In Vermont As $35-A-Month Gigabit Internet Launches
- 2013-04-23: Google Fiber iPad App Now Available For Download