After Facebook and its 1 billion plus users, Twitter is perhaps the most widely used social network. Back in December Twitter announced that it had more than 200 million monthly users. Today at a conference WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum revealed that the popular cross platform messaging service has more users than Twitter. Confirming that they had more users than Twitter, Jan however did not reveal any specific figures which will obviously be over 200 million. He also revealed that WhatsApp handles some 12 billion outbound messages and 8 billion in bound messages every single day.
Recently we were hearing rumors that Google was willing to acquire the service for up to $1 billion, these rumors were quickly shot down by Neeraj Arora, the business development head at WhatsApp. Today Jan touched on this subject as well, saying that they wanted to build a sustainable and independent company, to build a business and that acquisition is not really a viable exit strategy for them. While Twitter and WhatsApp are in two entirely different niches, it is interesting to see just how quickly a cross platform messaging service has gained a surge in its user base.RELATED
- Yahoo Mail Was Down Due To A Hardware Problem
- Remaining UK Blockbuster Stores To Shut Down
- Ex-Napster Executive Killed In Cycling Accident Involving Police Car
- Mars One Intends To Launch Unmanned Mars Lander In 5 Years’ Time
- National Library Of Norway To Digitize Its Entire Collection Of Books And Materials
- Follow: Facebook, Google, twitter, whatsapp,