As we had reported earlier, the deal Yahoo made to acquire Tumblr for $1.1 billion is now official, and in our previous report, we asked how Tumblr users are feeling about this. We expect that there will be mixed feelings, with some possibly happy that Yahoo is now throwing their weight and support behind the website, and with others a bit more apprehensive and worried that Yahoo might begin to over commercialize it with ads and whatnot. The latter seems to be the case, at least that’s what WordPress’ founder, Matt Mullenweg, seemed to imply in his blog (source link below).
Mullenweg stated that on average, WordPress typically imports about 400-600 posts an hour from Tumblr, but since news of the acquisition went official and started to spread, the blogging platform noticed a huge spike to over 72,000 imported posts in the last hour! It’s definitely way too early to tell if Tumblr users are defecting to WordPress, or if they’re simply playing it safe by keeping an alternative blog ready to go should they decide they do not like where Tumblr is heading after the acquisition, but what do you guys think?
- 2014-03-24: Tumblr Adds Two Factor Authentication
- 2014-01-14: Tumblr Now Lets Users Mention And Link To Other Users In Posts
- 2013-11-21: Tumblr For iOS Gets An All New Design
- 2013-09-19: Tumblr Rolls Out Push Notifications To Android App, iOS Update Coming
- 2013-07-17: Tumblr Issues Fix For iOS App
- 2013-05-30: Tumblr Brings In-Stream Ads To Its Website
- 2013-05-21: Yahoo Will Not Restrict Tumblr's NSFW Content Post-Acquisition
- 2013-05-20: Yahoo To Officially Acquire Tumblr For $1.1 Billion
- 2013-05-19: Tumblr Being Acquired By Yahoo For $1.1 Billion [WSJ]