During today’s BlackBerry Live keynote, BlackBerry CEO Thorstein Heins had some interesting news to share in regards to BlackBerry Messenger. Heins announced its messenger program has reached 60 million users who are sending 10 billion messages a day, but that was just the icing on the BlackBerry Messenger cake as not only did they announce it will be going multi-platform this summer, but also, a new way to communicate to other like-minded BlackBerry users is being announced, called BlackBerry Channels.
BlackBerry Channels is a way for BlackBerry 10 users to communicate with a specific brand that they’re most passionate about, which BlackBerry used its Formula One channel as its example. Users will be able to stay up to date on their channels as they’ll receive live updates as soon as the brand issues one, which can be a simple text communication or photos with text attached to it. Users can also share posts from a BBM Channel with their friends to then discuss the update separately
BlackBerry Messenger Channel will launch later today as a beta, with new updates expected in the next 2 to 4 weeks, and finally launching commercially this summer. Some brands already have a BBM Channel already set up, including Alicia Keys and The Goo Goo Dolls, but seeing how beta testers can create their own channel, we’re sure there will be a ton of channels for you to follow in no time.
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface
- 2014-04-11: T-Mobile Offering BlackBerry Users $200 To "Upgrade" To Samsung
- 2013-12-22: BBM For BlackBerry 10 Beta Features Real Time Location Sharing And Voice Notes
- 2013-06-28: BBM Coming To iOS, Android 'Before The End Of The Summer'
- 2013-06-06: BlackBerry Messenger Releasing On iOS, Android June 27
- 2013-05-16: BBM For iPad Support Won't Be Available At Launch
- 2013-05-14: BlackBerry Messenger Heading To iPhone, Android This Summer