We reported on an issue Google Voice users have been experiencing if they chose to give Hangouts a spin within their Gmail account. The problem users were reporting was their inability to make or receive calls from within Gmail. It’s a problem we’re sure Google was not aware of prior to Hangouts’ launch, but one of Google’s product managers has confirmed a fix is on the way.
Nikhyl Sinhal revealed the upcoming update in a Google+ post by first confirming the problem saying “Today’s version of Hangouts doesn’t yet support outbound calls on the web and in the Chrome extension, but we do support inbound calls to your Google Voice number.” Sinhal goes on to say Google is working on supporting both with outbound / inbound calls becoming available soon and recommends those users who are affected should continue to use Google Talk in Gmail.
Sinhal ends his post by confirming Hangouts is “designed to be the future of Google Voice.” Google plans on having the process of making and receiving calls be seamlessly integrated in its Hangouts.
Next Story: Tegra 4i Integrated LTE Modem Tops 150Mbps
- 2014-04-23 Russia ‘Anti-Terrorism’ Laws Might Make Skype, Gmail, Facebook Illegal
- 2014-04-23 Google Street View Lets You Perform ‘Time Travel’
- 2014-04-22 Motorola And Lenovo's First Smartphone Reportedly Coming This Fall
- 2014-04-22 Nest Thermostat Is Now Available From The Play Store
- 2014-04-21 Nest Thermostat Briefly Spotted On Google Play
- 2013-07-10 Google Rolls Out Voice Support In Hangouts
- 2013-05-20 Google Voice Calls Crippled By Google Hangouts Upgrade Within Gmail
- 2013-05-15 Google+ Receiving Major Changes To Layout, Hangouts, Photos Today
- 2013-05-10 Google Babel To Be Unveiled At I/O As Google Hangouts [Rumor]
- 2012-07-30 Hangouts on Gmail allows you to launch face-to-face-to-face chats