Earlier this week, we stumbled onto a leak for Google’s upcoming “Google Play Games,” which is said to be a unifying gaming service for Android devices similar to what Apple delivered with its Game Center. Just a mere few minutes prior to the Google I/O keynote, it looks like the name has been confirmed from an unlikely source.
The Google Play Games name has been confirmed through an updated “What’s New” page from an Android game called Euflorira HD. The What’s New section of the game points out a number of improvements, one of which is support for “Google Play Games achievements.” The update will allow players to sync achievements with a player’s Google+ profile, which can then be shared to your circles, that is, if any of your circles care if you unlocked an achievement to begin with.
At this point, all we can do is just sit back and wait for Google to make their official announcement today as we pretty much have seen enough leaked information and an official update to an Android game to confidentially say Google Play Games is going to be announced at Google I/O this week.
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Madison For Android Declares War On In-App Advertisements
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2013-05-15: Google Play Games Brings Cloud Save, Achievements, Multiplayer To Android
- 2013-05-15: Google Play Store Receives New Design Prior to I/O Keynote
- 2012-05-24: Google Play apps now support subscription billing
- 2012-03-02: Google tablet to be called Google Play?