Right now, the three largest mobile operating system players in the market would obviously be Android, iOS and Windows Phone 8 in the distant third, having recently knocked off BlackBerry from its perch. Of course, there are also other minor players such as Tizen that has made its mark in at least one Samsung device so far, and we have also heard of efforts being made concerning a Firefox operating system for mobile devices. It seems that Hon Hai has shared that they will most likely reveal a new Firefox OS device this coming June 3rd as part of their partnership with the Mozilla Foundation.
Focus Taiwan reported that the Taiwan-based contract manufacturer would be the 19th company to partner with Mozilla for its Firefox OS project, and we could very well be privy to a spanking new Firefox OS-powered device this coming June 3rd. As to whether this would be a smartphone or a tablet, Focus Taiwan claimed that an unnamed industry insider shared that the device would in all probability be a tablet. Which do you think would have a greater chance at success when released, or will they all be on equal footing?
- 2014-01-30: Mozilla Will Attend MWC 2014 To Show Off Firefox OS' Progress
- 2014-01-19: Firefox OS Tablet Prototypes Enter Test Phase
- 2014-01-06: Panasonic And Mozilla Work On Firefox OS Open Platform For Next Generation Smart TVs
- 2013-11-30: Tizen And Firefox OS Should Team Up, According To Samsung
- 2013-11-14: Mozilla Currently Has No Plans To Launch Firefox OS Phones In The U.S.