A new report from The Wall Street Journal reveals that the Department of Defense is going to approve Apple iOS and Samsung Galaxy devices over the next couple of weeks, for Pentagon officials. This is yet another hit to BlackBerry, as its latest devices will be receiving some stiff competition from these popular devices in this particular section of the market. BlackBerry has always touted its secure platform, but the DoD’s impending approval shows that the market leaders are making products that are just as good for secure use.
Samsung Galaxy devices that come with Knox security software installed will be vetted to see if they comply with The Defense Information System Agency’s Security Technology Implementation Guide. Military agencies are reportedly going to be allowed to use iOS 6 based smartphones and tablets for nonclassified communications and web browsing, though it is not known what modifications Apple will be making to iOS so as to gain this clearance, perhaps it won’t even be required to. Approval for BlackBerry’s latest platform is also pending, it is expected that it will be cleared for secure enterprise use by Q3, 2013, despite recent rumors that approval process for BlackBerry 10 has been halted due to insufficient budget.
Next Story: Google I/O 2013 Schedule Finally Revealed
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Yahoo Wants To Become iOS' Default Search
- 2014-04-16: Apple's App Store Revenue In China Grew By 70%
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Apple's iOS, OS X, And "Key Web-Based Services" Not Affected By Heartbleed Flaw
- 2014-02-13: BBM 2.0 Brings Voice Calling, Channels, Dropbox And More
- 2013-05-14: BlackBerry Messenger Heading To iPhone, Android This Summer
- 2013-03-21: Increased Collaboration Of Apple Design Teams May Bring New iOS Visual Design
- 2013-02-14: Report: Interest In Blackberry Devices Surges While iPhone Declines
- 2012-11-16: RIM's CEO believes Blackberry 10 is a "true mobile computing platform"