Today at its Menlo Park Headquarters in California, Facebook detailed new features that the first update of Facebook Home is going to bring. Previously the social networking giant had confirmed that Facebook Home’s first update will be releasing in May. Three new features that have been detailed include Dock, Dash Bar and a new user experience. Later today at 3PM PST Facebook for Android update will be released on Google Play Store, which won’t have these features but will bring bug fixes and performance improvements.
Aptly named Dock, this new feature will add a new app dock to Home’s launcher. Once the user swipes up to access their apps, they’ll get to see the Dock that will be locked at the bottom of the screen. The Dash Bar’s aim is to make initiating conversations a lot faster. At the moment to initiate a chat, the user must swipe left to reveal the Facebook Messenger app. After the update, swiping left will open up a Chat Head bubble which will have a Buddy List overlaid. The list will show which of your friends are online and available to chat. The new user experience is simply there to make it easier for first time users to get acclimatized with Home. A much more extensive walkthrough of gestures will be provided so as to make it easier to adapt to Facebook Home. They’ve not said when exactly these new features will be rolled out to end users in an update.
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-08: Mom Checks Son's Facebook, Saves Him From Getting Shot
- 2013-06-06: Facebook Home Update Brings 'Favorites Tray' For Your Apps
- 2013-04-29: Android Design Head Praises Facebook Home's Attention To Design
- 2013-04-28: Android App Updates Now Restricted From Bypassing Google Play Store
- 2013-04-25: Facebook Home Popularity On Google Play Reportedly Declining
- 2013-04-23: Facebook Messenger Android App Updated With Stickers