During Sony’s PS4 reveal earlier this year, the company basically shared some of the features we might expect from the console, namely social-type features, along with some games that gamers can look forward to. Obviously that isn’t all the PS4 has to offer and we expect that additional details could be revealed at a later date, maybe even during E3, but for now it seems that speech recognition could be one of the reasons. This is thanks to a LinkedIn job post which was spotted by the folks at IGN that hinted that some sort of speech recognition feature could be included in the PS4.
The job basically called for someone to work as a “Speech Recognition Engineering Intern”, and required the candidate to possess knowledge on speech and signal processing, and their tasks could include “Speech noise reduction, speech detection, recognition, noisy rejection, and grammar processing under various environments”. Other duties required of the intern also included “Robust speech feature extraction and signal processing for speech enhancement, speech enhance and processing of noisy speech with human voice in the background,” suggesting that we could be looking at some sort of speech recognition system that might be used in a place where a lot of noise could occur, such as a living room, for example.
Of course there is no reason to believe that this could be for the PS4 and could be for something else entirely, so try not to read too much into this for now, but what do you guys think? Could we be looking at some kind of advance speech recognition feature to be included in the PS4?
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-04-16: inFAMOUS Second Son PS4 Patch Arrives April 17th
- 2014-02-03: PS4 Update 1.60: Headset Support, Gold Wireless Headset Coming “Soon”
- 2014-01-21: PlayStation 4 Error CE-34878-0 Being Investigated By Sony
- 2013-12-06: 8-Hour PSN Maintenance Taking Place On December 9
- 2013-11-27: Sony To Adjust PS4 PSN Game Prices In Europe
- 2013-11-20: This Gamer's PS4 Remains Untouched After A Tornado Destroyed His Home