In less than two weeks Microsoft will be announcing the next generation Xbox, on the 21st of May. There have been many rumors about this upcoming console and speculation is at an all time high. A number of monikers have been rumored, some believe that the new console will be called Xbox Infinite, the Xbox Fusion, the Xbox Infinity or quite simply, Xbox. Now IBTimes UK is reporting that “sources related to development of the new Xbox” confirmed to them that Microsoft’s new console carries the Infinity moniker.
Internally, the next generation Xbox is referred to as Durango, which is its codename. It was initially believed that this console will actually be called Xbox 720, a name that’s obviously a natural successor of Xbox 360. Microsoft has not commented on this latest development, we shouldn’t expect them to either considering that the official announcement is merely a fortnight away. The full unveil of this console will take place at E3 conference in June. It was also recently rumored that an allegedly leaked internal Microsoft memo confirms that the next Xbox won’t require an always-on internet connection. Fact remains, we can’t be entirely sure about anything until the company makes an official announcement. Do weigh in on this though, what are your thoughts about the Xbox Infinity moniker?
- 2014-04-08: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08: HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-03-31: Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20: Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live
- 2013-05-21: Xbox 720 Expected To Begin Mass Production In Q3 For Q4 Launch
- 2013-05-20: Xbox 720: Everything To Look For
- 2013-05-20: Sony Teases PS4 Hardware Prior To Next Xbox Event
- 2013-05-20: Next Xbox Event Expected To Feature IllumiRoom [Rumor]
- 2013-05-15: Microsoft Points Getting The Axe In Time For Next-Generation Xbox Release [Rumor]