Facebook finally rolled out support for hashtags earlier this month, which resulted in a tidal wave of users throwing in hashtags for any and every status update they publish. But if you’re a regular mobile user, you may have noticed hashtags aren’t supported yet. Today, Facebook is changing that as they’re not only making hashtags compatible with its mobile site, but they’re also rolling out related searches.
When we say “mobile site,” we of course mean Facebook’s mobile website and not its dedicated iOS and Android applications, so those users will just have to wait until the company rolls out hashtag support for their Facebook apps.
In addition to hashtag support for its mobile site, Facebook is introducing related searches to allow its users to discover new conversations based on a certain hashtag. Facebook will also analyze which terms are often posted together, so something like #equality would also bring up posts tagged with #loveislove or #DOMA. This will certainly add another layer of interactivity with Facebook as it could help you discover hashtags you haven’t even thought of using, which you can then join those conversations as well.
- 2014-04-22 Research On Facebook Unfriending Impact
- 2014-04-22 WhatsApp Now Has Half A Billion Active Users
- 2014-04-20 Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20 Facebook Rumored To Launch Their Own Mobile Ad Network
- 2014-04-17 Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2013-01-15 Facebook Graph Search: A Great Strategic Move
- 2011-02-17 Microsoft Bing toolbar now integrates Facebook