Modern day smartphones tend to be all touchscreen, with very little room or space left for physical buttons other than the On/Off function, a volume rocker, and for some, a Home button. The camera shutter button is a very important piece in a device’s design if you were to ask me, as sometimes, taking self portraits with the rear camera can be quite challenging if you were to hold the handset while leaving it to chance by touching the screen, being a hit and miss situation. Things get worse if you can only hold the handset with one hand, and the phone itself is relatively large and heavy, it can be hard to get a good grasp overall. Relying on audio cues alone won’t make the cut, which is why we are pleased to announce that the Sony Xperia Z, which lacks a camera shutter button, has received a mod from xda-developer member black97one that will use the volume down key to snap photos.
This particular mod also opens up the door to capture photos in fast capture mode from standby. Those who are interested will be able to check out the mod as well as its installation instructions here. Since a video says more than words ever could, why not check out the YouTube video above as well?
Next Story: Twitter Adds New Features To TweetDeck
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-03-03: T-Mobile Xperia Z Android 4.3 Update Released
- 2013-08-13: 100 Sony Xperia Z Handsets Used In A Fashion Project
- 2013-08-06: Sony XPERIA Z Users Complain of Build Quality in Forums
- 2013-08-01: Sony Shipped 9.6 Million Smartphones Last Quarter
- 2013-07-31: Sony Xperia Z And Xperia ZL Gets New Firmware Updates