E3 2013 is just a mere couple of days away, but Microsoft decided it would clarify a couple of things with its next-generation Xbox, the Xbox One, as there have been a lot of confusion surrounding the console ever since it was unveiled two weeks ago. One area Microsoft verified was the Xbox One’s used game policy, but the company also clarified whether or not the Xbox One will be an always-connected console.
In a post published on Xbox Wire, Microsoft confirms the Xbox One will require an Internet connection every 24 hours in order to play games, regardless if the game supports an online mode or is completely offline. Microsoft details what exactly will happen with its Xbox One’s regularly scheduled connections to the Internet:
“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library, Microsoft’s official statement reads. “Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.”
Although it may not require a constant connection to the Internet, as we and many others assumed it would be, requiring the console to connect to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours is nearly as bad as a constantly connected console, especially when the console will be completely locked out if it doesn’t make its regularly-scheduled connection.
- 2014-04-08: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08: HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-03-31: Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20: Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live
- 2014-02-19: Xbox One Media Remote Launching This Week [Rumor]
- 2013-12-13: Dead Rising 3 Demo Available Today; Details On First DLC Revealed
- 2013-12-12: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Wolf DLC Releasing Today On Xbox One, 360
- 2013-12-11: Xbox One Sells Over 2 Million Units In First 18 Days
- 2013-12-10: Xbox One Mod Makes It Possible To Play With PS4, 360, PS3 Controllers