Using a mobile device while it charges is probably something we’ve all done on a daily basis. Being able to browse Facebook, respond to a number of texts and check out the latest news while your mobile device is getting its regular dose of life-giving energy is a treat, but according to police in China, the combination recently turned deadly.
According to Reuters, a 23-year-old Xinjiang woman was killed by an electric shock when she answered a call from her charging iPhone 5. As a result, Apple has vowed they will launch a full investigation as well as cooperate with authorities in regards to their investigation. Ma Ailun’s story became public when her sister tweeted on Sina’s microblog saying Ma had collapsed and died after using her iPhone 5 while it was charging and urged others to be careful when using their devices.
Hopefully this is just an isolated incident as we can’t even begin to imagine how it would affect other mobile device owners as using their device while charging has never been an issue in the past for the majority of users. Considering how flimsy the iPhone 5′s lightning cable can be, we have a feeling that may have played a role in this incident, but that’s pure speculation at this point.