Back in 2012, Facebook acquired photo sharing service Instagram for a cool $1 billion, essentially putting Instagram under Facebook’s wing. However it seems that even though Instagram is part of Facebook, its CEO Kevin Systrom is apparently pretty ambitious to the point where he believes that it is possible that Instagram could outgrow Facebook. Speaking in an interview with Fast Company, Systrom noted that due to the growth rate that Instagram is currently experiencing, and if things were to continue at the current pace, not only will the service eventually become bigger than Facebook, but it could potentially go on to be “the biggest thing in the world”.
Of course we doubt that will be happening anytime soon and Systrom acknowledged it might not be as easy as it sounds, especially since Facebook’s users outnumber Instagram’s users by more than eight times. It will be interesting to see if Instagram could eventually outgrow their parent company, although with services coming and going and with new trends sprouting out every few months, it really is quite hard to say, but what do you guys think? Will Instagram eventually outgrow Facebook?
Next Story: Prep Your Yahoo! Username Wish List
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Tests Facebook Places Integration
- 2013-12-17: Instagram Verified Accounts Not Coming Anytime Soon
- 2013-12-12: Instagram Direct Messaging Service Announced
- 2013-11-19: Social Media Experiment Proves How Easy It Is To Find Out Things About A Total Stranger
- 2013-09-25: Jimmy Fallon, Justin Timberlake Show Us How Silly #Hashtags Really Are