When Facebook was in its early stages, the social network was ad-free but since Facebook needs money to keep itself up and running, ads were introduced later. Instagram on the other hand has remain ad-free all this while, but after its acquisition by Facebook, the social network has been looking for opportunities to monetize the platform and now it has been confirmed that ads will soon arrive on Instagram. This was confirmed by Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg during the company’s earnings call.
According to Zuckerberg (via The Next Web), “We expect over time to generate a lot of profit from it. We think the right focus for now is to continue increasing the footprint of Instagram and, when the right time comes, we’ll think about advertising.” While Zuckerberg did acknowledge that ads would be arriving on Instagram, he did not state when, or how the ads will be implemented (could we be seeing ads in between Instagram posts?), but it’s something to keep an eye out for. Instagrammers what do you guys think? Will ads ruin the Instagram experience, or have you been expecting this for a while now?
- 2014-04-14: Instagram Down, And Up Again
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-04-08: Facebook On iPhone Could Be Responsible For Huge Battery Drain
- 2014-04-02: Instagram Works On Bug That Hides Recent Photos
- 2014-03-30: Facebook Messenger iOS Update Brings Groups, Forwarding And More
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Hits 200 Million Active Users
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Tests Facebook Places Integration
- 2014-03-20: WhatsApp And Instagram On The Nokia X
- 2013-06-28: Number Of Vine Shares On Twitter Drop Following Instagram's Video Announcement
- 2012-10-16: No plans for Instagram for Blackberry 10 according to Facebook [Updated]