It’s been a year since Google launched their Nexus 7, a tablet which was not only incredibly affordable, but came with pretty decent specs at well which was surprising given how much it cost. So the question is, when will Google launch the Nexus 7’s successor? One could correctly assume that Google would be interested in keeping up the popularity of the Nexus 7, so shouldn’t it be soon that the Nexus 7’s successor be announced? According to the folks at AusDroid, they were sent several screenshots where one person took it upon themselves to get in touch with an ASUS rep online to inquire about the Nexus 7’s successor.
Instead of asking about the product directly by its name, the person used the model number “K009”, a tablet which was seen recently at the FCC which has been speculated to be the new Nexus 7. The person not only managed to tease out a possible release date, by the end of July according to the rep, but possible specs as well. According to the rep, the ASUS K009 will feature a 7” 1980×1200 display resolution and will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core CPU, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of onboard storage, a 5MP rear-facing camera, a 1.2MP front-facing camera, a 4,000mAh battery and will run on Android 4.3 with support for LTE connectivity.
The exchange cannot be verified and does seem a little suspect. In the conversation the person asked where did the rep get their specs from, and according to the reply, these are “internal specs” which aren’t available to the public, but the rep provided the info anyway due to the customer’s “eagerness”. We doubt reps are privy to this sort of information, and of course it is entirely possible the entire conversation is made up, so take it with a grain of salt for now, but what do you guys think? Are these specs convincing enough to belong to that of the next-gen Nexus 7?
- 2014-04-10: ASUS Transformer Book T100 Receives CPU Upgrade
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-27: AT&T Details ASUS PadFone X Specifications
- 2014-03-24: ASUS ZenFone 6, 5, And 4 To Be Released In April
- 2014-03-23: ASUS PadFone X Spotted At The FCC
- 2013-07-21: Next-Gen Nexus 7 Could Arrive This July 30th On Best Buy
- 2013-07-17: Google Nexus 7 2 Allegedly Appears In New Video, Photos [Rumor]
- 2013-07-12: Nexus 7 2 With LTE Rumored For Late July Announcement
- 2013-06-16: Nexus 7 2 Photo Spotted Online
- 2013-03-20: Next-gen Nexus 7 Could Use Qualcomm Snapdragon Chipset Instead [Rumor]