Nintendo has several franchises under its belt, and most of them have been pretty big hits, but at the same time Nintendo can’t possibly keep milking these franchises forever, right? Well in a report translated by Kotaku from an interview with Famitsu, it seems that Nintendo’s president, Shigeru Miyamoto, is interested in introducing a new franchise for its console. According to Miyamoto who spoke about Nintendo’s plans for the future, he was quoted as saying, “Next Spring, with the release of Mario Kart 8, we’ll have a general selection available, so I’ve been thinking it would be a good time to bring out a new franchise.”
This was said as a follow up to his earlier comments about how despite all the tweaks and features that Nintendo will be bringing to the Wii U console, it will be pointless unless Nintendo releases games of their own, and a new franchise is not a bad idea. Of course this hardly confirms that Nintendo has a new franchise to begin with, and could merely be the musings of Miyamoto, but what do you guys think? Will a brand new franchise from Nintendo help boost the Wii U sales, or do you think it will take a lot more than that?
- 2014-04-17: Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-17: Box Art Hints At Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned