Some folks look to the NPD religiously each month, as they want to know whether their favorite console is at the top of the sales charts, in addition to the different games that have been released. Sort of like the Billboard Top 100, except that this is about games. Well, in terms of hardware, the Nintendo 3DS is tops with close to 225,000 units moved, while the Xbox 360 remains behind at just 140,000 units, meaning Nintendo’s handheld console has achieved a 40% year-on-year increase in sales. I suppose the favorable shift in hardware numbers for Nintendo is due to Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon titles for the platform.
As for the best selling game for June 2013, The Last of Us (as you can see above) for the PS3 topped the charts, enjoying the second highest launch sales for a PS3 title, being behind only God of War 3 that was released in March three years ago. In second place would be Animal Crossing: New Leaf for the 3DS, where it shifted a combination of 505,000 units – both physical and digital.
- 2014-03-02: Yoshi Themed Nintendo 3DS Listed By North American Retailers
- 2014-01-28: Nintendo 3DS Sales Hit 15 Million In Japan
- 2014-01-26: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Set To Arrives As Nintendo 3DS Exclusive In Early 2015
- 2014-01-22: Phoenix Wright Makes His Way To The Nintendo 3DS
- 2013-11-14: Watch All 30 Minutes Of The Latest Nintendo Direct Right Here