BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins has already confirmed that the company is going to release a new OS7 device, though the finer details weren’t revealed. It is rumored that this device is going to be called BlackBerry 9720. Rumored pictures of this smartphone have surfaced online, there’s obviously no confirmation right now that the device in these pictures is actually the upcoming BB device.
The BlackBerry 9720 is expected to have a 480×360 display, it is not known whether it will be touchscreen, a full QWERTY keyboard and the top row of physical buttons that have been eliminated on the latest BlackBerry 10 devices. These pictures also reveal that the 9720 will have a dedicated BBM key, this is similar to quite a few smartphones from the Curve lineup.
People might argue that there’s no real benefit of releasing a smartphone that runs on OS 7.1 while BlackBerry is trying hard to get its latest OS 10 platform off the ground. However there are certain markets where BB10 adoption is eclipsed by OS 7 devices primarily because of the fact that people don’t buy expensive smartphones. Therefore it is likely that BlackBerry 9720 will be exclusive to a select few markets and will be priced to accommodate the purchasing power in those markets. [Images via ThaiBBclub]
Next Story: Moto X New Purported Parts Photos Leaked Online
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales