Most, if not all, smartphones are shaped like rectangles, although we guess the devil is in the details, but what about Samsung? So far we’ve seen Samsung’s devices designed using the company’s “nature inspired” language, but what does the future hold for them? Well thanks to a patent spotted by Patent Bolt, perhaps what we might be looking at is the future of Samsung’s smartphones. As you can see in the diagram above, this particular patent covers what appears to be a smartphone with slightly sharper edges, versus the softer, rounder edges found on the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy S4.
In fact this design seems like it could have passed off as a Motorola design especially with the sharp and angled edges. The patent was applied back in 2011 in South Korea, and 2012 in the US, meaning that they are somewhat old. As is with the case with most patents, there’s really no telling if this is a sign that Samsung could be using these designs in the future, or if they are merely protecting their designs from copycats, but what do you guys think? Would this be a Samsung design you might be interested in?
- 2014-04-17: Samsung's Galaxy Phones To Get Custom Amazon Kindle Book Store
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Uses Eco-friendly Packaging In Galaxy Series Devices
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Patent Reveals Earphone With Heads Up Display
- 2014-04-10: Samsung Intends To Trademark Gear Now And Gear Solo In The US
- 2014-03-13: ZiiLabs Tales Samsung And Apple To Court Over Patent Infringement
- 2014-03-06: Samsung Receives Patent For "Touch Display Apparatus Sensing Touch Force"
- 2014-03-05: Samsung's Google Glass Rival Patent Filing Reveals AR Keyboard