It has been a long time since the Lotus Esprit car which could be turned into a submarine was placed under the public’s eye, but the limelight beckons yet again – not for a new film, but this very ride is set to go under the hammer in London later this September. This special, one of a kind, Lotus Esprit car-cum-submarine saw action in the 1977 Bond film “The Spy Who Loved Me”, with Roger Moore playing the role of the suave and debonair James Bond, was constructed with motorized propellers as well as a levered steering mechanism so that it is capable of performing the underwater scenes as required.
Back in 1977, the cost of this car approximately $100,000, but when you take into account inflation, it would be around $400,000 in today’s currency to construct from ground up. In fact, after the film was wrapped, the ride was left to literally rot in a storage container until 1989. The container’s contents were auctioned off to a local couple, and this couple remained as private owners ever since. At least, until later this September. Time to reprise those famous James Bond pick up lines if you think that you are in with a shout for this particular auction item!RELATED
- Newsmy Navigation Announces CarPad II Android-Powered DVD Navigation Tool
- Man Willing To Sell A Testicle For A Nissan 370Z
- Nissan Leaf Owner Arrested For Stealing Five Cents Worth Of Electricity
- Honda Gets Deeper iOS Integration With Display Audio
- Spike Away Vest Keeps You Safe From Cramped Commutes
- Follow: auction,