Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Who would have thought that BlackBerry, once an extremely dominant smartphone manufacturer and service provider with their BBM service, could have slid down the pecking order at such an alarming rate over the past few years? In fact, Android and iOS are tussling it out at the top, while Windows Phone 8 has even overtaken the BlackBerry OS in select markets. Not only that, we have also heard recently that BlackBerry could possibly be looking to sell off the company to a willing buyer in order to save its business. Despite all the choppy waters that the BlackBerry ship is sailing in, there is time for another product announcement which would most probably be suitable as a relic from the past – the BlackBerry 7.1-powered BlackBerry 9720, which we have seen our fair share of leaks in the past.
It does seem that the BlackBerry 9720 will succeed from where the popular Curve range has left off, and since it runs on BlackBerry 7.1 instead of the latest BlackBerry 10 platform, you will find it arrive with a traditional hardware keyboard and tiny non-touchscreen display that would certainly make it anathema to majority of the tech savvy crowd of today. It does make you wonder just what BlackBerry is up to, rolling out a device like the 9720.
Next Story: 3D Printed Ears To The Rescue
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales