What was once a behemoth has now been reduced to finding “strategic alternatives” for its survival. The years have taken their toll on BlackBerry, which once had a mammoth share of the global cellphone market. Now it has been beaten by Windows Phone, which has become the third biggest platform in the world. BlackBerry was unable to stage a comeback with its new BlackBerry 10 devices. So the company recently announced that it is looking for alternatives, which includes partnerships and alliances and even an outright sale of the company.
A new Digitimes report cites sources who believe that it is likely that BlackBerry might be sold off in parts, not lump sum. These sources believe that BlackBerry’s rival aren’t going to be interested in the entire company, given its declining market share coupled with the cost of maintaining an entire software platform. One possible scenario is that companies like Cisco and IBM, which are largely focused towards the business segment, might be interested in buying BlackBerry’s wireless service platform. Whereas companies such as Amazon and Samsung might consider buying BlackBerry 10 platform to acquire related patents that would help them push further ahead in the market. No one seems to know right now what would become of the company’s hardware division. There have been no reports of an acquisition offer for BlackBerry and its not known right now if they’ll be entering in to a partnership or alliance with some other company.
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-09: Polled BlackBerry Users Want BlackBerry 10 To Be Themable
- 2014-03-27: BlackBerry 10 Receives Full Operational Capability Certification By Department Of Defense
- 2014-02-19: BlackBerry 10 QWERTY Prototype Photos Leaked
- 2013-12-24: BlackBerry Dropped Plans To Release Two More BB10 Devices
- 2013-12-22: BBM For BlackBerry 10 Beta Features Real Time Location Sharing And Voice Notes