While NTT DOCOMO might be Japan’s largest carrier, if there’s one thing that they do not have that their competitors do, is Apple’s iPhone, and because of that there have been reports that they are losing subscribers to the competition. Last we heard despite the carrier bleeding subscribers, they weren’t too eager to get the iPhone on their network due to the string of conditions that comes with it, but now it looks like the carrier might have a change of heart. Shares of the carrier have been on the rise following a rumor that NTT DOCOMO is set to get the iPhone on their network later this year.
According to the article at Sankei, “A new iPhone from Apple is expected in September. The Japanese market are paying close attention to whether NTT docomo will be selling the new model or not. Having sold two other models as their main phones in the past summer season, the company is ready, as the vice-president Kazuto Tsubouchi has commented “the only problem is WHEN we are going to sell it.” Assuming that this is true, Apple could be closing deals with some pretty large carriers, as last we heard Apple was in talks with China Mobile about selling the iPhone as well.
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-01-10: iPhone Attributed To NTT DOCOMO's Growth In Subscribers
- 2013-10-07: NTT DOCOMO Still Bleeding Subscribers Despite Offering The New iPhones
- 2013-09-05: NTT DOCOMO To Offer iPhones Starting This Fall
- 2013-06-28: NTT DoCoMo Not Overly Eager To Get The iPhone On Their Network
- 2011-12-01: Apple rumored to release LTE iPhone and iPad in Japan next year