The iPhone 3GS is old by technology standards, especially since it was released back in 2009 making the handset a good four years old. If that is the case why are we still talking about it? Well it seems that if you’ve always wanted an iPhone but the iPhone 4 is still a little out of your price range ($325 unlocked), AT&T’s prepaid arm, GoPhone, could soon start to offer up the iPhone 3GS as an extremely affordable handset. This is according to reports where it is believed that some of AT&T’s stores will be offering refurbished models of the iPhone 3GS to their prepaid GoPhone customers.
The handset is not expected to be advertised or publicized, but supposedly sales staff will offer it as an option to some customers who might not be able to afford their more expensive offerings. Not all AT&T stores will carry the handset, but it is expected that larger urban centers should have it in stock. Given that the phone has been discontinued and the models customers will be getting are refurbished, we guess they can’t really charge too much for it to begin with. Of course there will be limitations in the sense that the phone’s hardware is pretty old and will not be supported by iOS 7, but if an iPhone is what you want, we guess it should do in a pinch.
- 2014-02-02: iPhone 3GS Battery Balloons To Verge Of Exploding
- 2013-08-21: Refurbished iPhone 3GS Units Could Be Offered To AT&T GoPhone Customers
- 2012-09-13: iPhone 3GS discontinuation has been confirmed
- 2011-11-07: Siri runs on the iPhone 3GS as well
- 2011-10-20: AT&T sees high demand for iPhone 3GS
- 2011-09-21: iPhone trade-ins at all time high in anticipation of iPhone 5