NFC or near field communication technology has been widely implemented in various premium smartphones on different platforms such as BlackBerry, Windows Phone and Android. Apple has kept itself and iOS out of the fray for quite some time now, none of the company’s mobile devices feature this technology. It seems that Samsung’s homegrown Tizen OS will come with support for NFC from the get go. The NFC features of Tizen have been shown off on video, which hints at the possibility that the first Tizen device will come with NFC.
The video shows off a NFC tag writing app. NFC tags are basically small stickers that can be configured to invoke a number of actions on a mobile device when it is tapped against that sticker, such as calling a number, launching the browser to access a specific URL or even switching Wi-Fi on and off. The possibilities are endless. Looking at this video, one can speculate that perhaps this app will come pre-installed on Samsung’s first Tizen device. This may definitely be a unique plus point for Samsung’s nascent platform. The company has already labelled Tizen as a simple alternative to Android. It is speculated that in a bid to end its reliance upon Android, Samsung is working hard to develop its own platform. Though the company probably won’t switch all of its devices from Android to Tizen abruptly. First Tizen device is expected to come out this October.
Next Story: Sony Honami Mini Specs Rumored
- 2014-04-13: Apple Might Consider NFC For Next Generation iPhone
- 2014-03-19: LG Debuts Washing Machine With NFC Technology
- 2014-02-23: Sony Implements FeliCa/NFC Functionality In Gemalto MicroSD Cards
- 2014-01-21: Isis NFC iPhone Payments A Possibility With Incipio Cashwrap
- 2013-12-09: Nokia BH-121 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Announced
- 2013-08-06: Samsung Believes Tizen Is A "Simple Alternative" To Android
- 2012-09-03: Samsung Galaxy S3 Gets Quick Tap Contactless Payment Service
- 2012-01-02: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note to feature NFC?
- 2011-12-06: Google confirms no Google Wallet for Galaxy Nexus
- 2011-09-21: Samsung SHV-E120L specs leaked