VEVO has become the go-to service for watching music videos from over 25,000 global artists. It also offers original content now. The service is quite popular with music lovers. Recently we reported that VEVO iOS app had been updated with full AirPlay support, allowing users to beam music videos to their television set through an Apple TV. There has been chatter lately that VEVO might be added as a separate channel in Apple TV, and if Wall Street Journal’s latest report turns out to be true, the channel might be added within this week. Users would then be able to watch videos on VEVO straight through the Apple TV, they wouldn’t need an iOS app to beam videos to their TVs.
The report also claims that VEVO will be added as an app on Samsung smart TVs as well, but that is expected to happen after a few weeks. VEVO’s library contains over 70,000 videos from major record labels such as Sony and Universal. Being able to reach viewers on mediums other than YouTube, where majority of the users watch videos uploaded by VEVO, is likely to boost its ad revenue. Google reportedly keeps as much as 50 percent of the ad revenue generated through YouTube. VEVO is expected to serve ads on both the Apple TV and Samsung smart TVs, it would presumably receive a much larger cut as opposed to the one it receives from the world’s biggest video streaming website.
- 2014-04-20: First Generation Apple TV Facing Issues When Connecting To iTunes
- 2014-04-10: 2014 Apple TV May Rely On Motion Control Technology
- 2014-04-08: New Apple Set-Top Box Hinted In Comcast/Time Warner Cable Filings
- 2014-04-07: Amazon Fire TV Handles Android Mirroring Nicely
- 2014-04-02: Analyst Thinks Amazon's Fire TV Will Motivate Apple To Revamp The Apple TV