Yesterday the much awaited Flipboard app for BB10 popped up in BlackBerry World, there was just one problem, Flipboard didn’t announce that it had released the app. It was then found out that the app which had popped up was actually an unsupported Android port which wasn’t officially backed. BlackBerry users can already run an Android port of Flipboard on their devices, but an official app has been promised for the platform. Flipboard Community Manager Jon Virtes reiterated the promise today through Twitter, saying that the official app will be coming to “select 10.2 OS BlackBerry phones soon.”
There’s a slight problem here as well. You can’t take “soon” as an indication that the app will be released over the next few days, primarily because BlackBerry is yet to release OS 10.2 to the public. The next major BB10 platform update is expected to be released later this year. There are only three devices currently available that are compatible with the company’s new platform, the Z10, Q10 and Q5. The rumored Z30 phablet is expected to be released in the next few months. The only thing one can take away from this right now is that Flipboard will definitely be released for BlackBerry, but not before OS 10.2 comes out, so steer clear of any unofficial port you come across.
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface