Just the other day, we reported on a rumor Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto 5 could possibly be jumping onto the microtransaction bandwagon in the near future. The rumor originated from someone on Reddit who happened to stumble onto the game requesting an XML file hosted on Rockstar’s site when attempting to access the store section in the game’s pause menu. It looks like if Rockstar Games is planning on offering microtransaction within Grand Theft Auto 5, it’ll be doing so once Grand Theft Auto Online launches.
The images Reddit user 1880 found look to offer in-game credit that range from $100,000 all the way up to $1.25 million in-game cash. In addition to those images, the following description was also found in the XML file:
“Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting.”
At this point, Rockstar isn’t commenting on this recent discovery, although if Rockstar plans on making microtransactions possible in Grand Theft Auto Online, we’re sure they’ll make their announcement closer to its launch, which will take place on October 1.
- 2013-12-03: GTA Online Content Creator Captured In YouTube Video
- 2013-11-14: GTA Online Receiving Free 'Beach Bum' DLC Pack Nov. 19
- 2013-11-07: GTA Online Players Now Receiving $500k Stimulus Package
- 2013-10-30: Rockstar Rewarding Unique Selfies With GTA 5 #EpicPhotobomb Contest
- 2013-10-21: GTA Online Update Halves Money Earned From Repeated Missions
- 2013-10-08: Rockstar Suggests Fix For GTA Online Missing Character Bug
- 2013-07-16: GTA 5 Will Allow You To Customize Your Dog
- 2013-07-10: GTA 5 Will Feature Customizable Weapons, Vehicles
- 2013-07-09: GTA 5 For PC Hinted At In New Job Listing
- 2013-07-09: GTA 5 Gameplay Trailer Shows Us Actual In-Game Footage