Gold plated products can come off sometimes as being a little ostentatious, but we guess there are some who love such finishes and if you’re one of them and have some money to spare, perhaps these pair of solid gold EarPods might be an item you’d want to bid on. These Apple EarPods were designed and plated in gold in a collaborative effort between Apple’s design guru, Jony Ive, and industrial designer Marc Newson. The earphones will be coated in 18k solid gold and unfortunately apart from the new paint gold, it remains the same accessory that comes bundled with every iPhone out there.
The accessory will be auctioned off on the 23rd of November in New York and will be part of the Project (RED) charity organized by U2’s Bono. According to Ive, “Each piece represents the value of thoughtful design. What we create for each other is not only a comment on our culture, but of course in many ways defines it.” There will be other items auctioned off during the event as well, although we’re not sure how much these gold plated EarPods will fetch. Anyone have an idea how much someone might pay for these? Might go with the gold iPhone 5S!
- 2014-02-11: LG Earbuds Which Tracks The Heart Rate Hits The FCC
- 2014-01-08: Aurisonics' Rockets IEMs Claims To Be "Indestructible"
- 2013-09-24: These Gold-plated Earphones Will Cost You $14,500
- 2013-09-09: Jony Ive Creates Solid Gold EarPods For Charity Auction
- 2013-08-20: The Pogo Concept Is The MagSafe Equivalent For Earphones
- 2013-08-12: RHA Unveils MA600i And MA750i Earphones