On Sunday a cache of images of the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch were leaked. People weren’t impressed, some even called it downright ugly. The report accompanying those images said that it was a unit that Samsung had sent out to select developers and partners. While it was said that the unit is a prototype, the report claimed it was quite similar to the final version that Samsung unveils on September 4th. People in the loop claim that Samsung has a different and more “finished” unit that it will unveil at the event, if you weren’t impressed by what you saw on Sunday, you might want to give Samsung’s smartwatch another chance, if this report turns out to be true.
It is also said that the Galaxy Gear does not have a built in web browser. Android 4.3 is said to be on-board with the keyboard features disabled. It is expected to have Bluetooth LE, which means that Galaxy Gear will be able to work with smartphones that support Bluetooth LE. Apparently the smartwatch can be used to make phone calls as well. It was said on Sunday that the smartwatch will have Wi-Fi as well, the latest report suggests that it will have to be tethered to a phone to access the internet. Samsung has already confirmed that it will unveil Galaxy Gear on September 4th, so even if these rumors don’t paint a complete picture of the device, find solace in the fact that the official announcement is merely a couple of days away.
- 2014-04-07: Gear Solo Is Samsung's 3G Capable Smartwatch [Rumor]
- 2014-03-18: Galaxy Gear Price Drops Significantly In Canada
- 2014-02-22: Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear Neo Smart Watches Launched at MWC
- 2014-02-19: Multiple Galaxy Gear Models Expected At MWC 2014
- 2014-02-16: AT&T Galaxy Gear Price Gets A $100 Cut
- 2014-02-10: Galaxy Gear 2 Rumored To Be Priced Lower Than iWatch
- 2013-09-04: Galaxy Gear Review: Hands-On